Persevering Ministry Goals

Author: Pastor Pranitha Fielder
January 24, 2019

Harvard Business School conducted a decade long study on their MBA graduates. Before we get to the results of the research, we have to recognize that anyone who is accepted into their MBA program, which has a 15% acceptance rate, is already considered accomplished in the  world of business.

In 1979 new graduates from the Harvard MBA Program were asked, “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?”

84% had not set specific goals
13% had goals but they were not written down
3% had clear goals that they had written down and made plans to accomplish them

In 1989 the same students were interviewed to assess how their lives correlated to their goal setting method.

The 13% of the class who had set goals but did not write them down, were earning twice as much as the 84% of the class who did not have specific goals 10 years later.
The truly startling feedback came from the 3% of the class that had not only set clear goals, but had committed those goals to paper. This 3% was earning, on average, 10 times more than the other 97% of the class put together.

The take away is that it is important to not only have clear goals but also to write them down and have a plan. As the last Sabbath of January 2019 is upon us, some of us might be going strong with whatever goals and resolutions with which we started the year. Others of us might have found that our resolve has waned.

Last week, in a meeting with a few Pastors from Potomac Conference, we went around the room with each Pastor sharing and committing to paper their personal and ministry goals for the year. We did this same exercise in 2018 and held each other accountable the first half of the year. When we did an end of the year review we found that we were all pretty consistent the first half of the year while we were holding each other accountable. The last half of the year we didn’t have an opportunity to meet together in the same way and found that while we met our ministry goals, for many of us, the personal goals fell by the wayside. This year we committed to finding ways to hold each other accountable throughout the year. In addition to writing them down, having someone with whom you can share your plans, make the goals even more attainable.

As I listened to the personal and ministry goals of the Pastors, I wondered why every Christian doesn’t have ministry goals. While Pastors have dedicated their lives to ministry, shouldn’t every member be a dedicated minister on behalf of God in their own sphere of influence? I submit to you, to add one or two ministry goals for yourself or your family for this year. It may be as simple as being intentional in building a relationship with a co-worker or neighbor. Perhaps inviting someone to a meal in your house or inviting someone to church. Maybe your family can donate time or resources to your local community. A ministry goal doesn’t have to be getting a person to convert to your belief; it can simply be building a relationship with someone, so if ever they are in need or are responding to God in their life, God already has you positioned to minister to them.

Pranitha Fielder


7700 Carroll Ave |  Takoma PARK, MD 20912